Saturday, November 21, 2020

Acer Aspire 1 boot USB problem : SOLVED

 Just got this cheap Acer Aspire 1 just to put linux on it.  But bios doesnt show boot from USB option and F12 boot menu doesnt show either.

I tried booting 2 different USB drives that I made with DD in linux, no luck, nothing working.

I Google'd this and found a very helpful forum post that worked for me, my Acer Apire 1 boot from USB fine and is installing Linux Mint now.

Here is what I did based on the forum post

- bootup windows

- download Rufus

- format flash drive as Fat32

- in Rufus select ISO to burn

- in Rufus under "partition scheme" change from MBR to GPT

- burn iso

After that put the USB drive in the Acer and press F12 on bootup.  Instead of only showing me windows boot manager it had another option , and that let me boot off the USB.

NOTE : 

- F12 boot shortcut key has to be turned on in bios

- After that when you press F12 for boot menu hold FN key on bottom left corner

The F function keys need you to hold the FN key first.

No comments:

//]]>