Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Win 10 EQ settings ignored

This has been happening for some time, and is supremely annoying.  For a while it seemed the Windows 10 equalizer wasn't working.  My speakers are very bass heavy and I live in an apt complex, so I want to drop the bass out by like 95%.

I found that manual adjustments to the EQ sometimes do not register.

This can be worked around by making your own custom EQ setting, saving it, then switching to it.

But sometimes this doesn't work too - however the stock EQ presets will still work.

To recap - sometimes Windows 10 ignores your custom EQ settings.  Pick a pre-set that's close to what you want and use that.


Saturday, May 28, 2016

Javascript : Chrome console doesn't show difference between UTF-8 and UTF-16

Last night I spent about an hour trying to figure this bug out.  The problem was this :

- javascript downloads text file from server, file is full of urls

- js then compares document.URL (currently address the browser is at) to the text file (via storing the entries in a variable object then using indexOf).

so basically

if (current.URL exist in file) then {Do Stuff} else {return error}

Well I kept getting back errors and it made no sense.  So I got real basic and tried

if (current.URL == urlVariable) { return true }

Yet even this failed.  I forget why but I went into Firefox and in its console it is very clear the URL coming from the text file is very different than the URL string.  But in chrome they look the same.

Because the Chrome console doesn't properly indicate the text encoding is different I spent about an hour or so trying to "solve" why A does not equal A.  I thought I was taking crazy pills.

In short : Chrome console doesn't properly indicate when text encoding has changed.  And changes in character encoding can cause your "if equals" logic to fail in a confusing way.  If you're in FF console the issue will be obvious right away.

Array in Chrome



Array in Firefox